» Pathways (Parius)
by Orgoth Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:46 am

Affiliates
free forum

Strange Lands (Orgoth)

Go down

Strange Lands (Orgoth)

Post by Jun on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 am

Nichol woke up with something on his chest. The blond opened his eyes to see a small critter with a fox like face, large ears, small body, and a longer tail with the tip puffed up some. It was looking at him curiously. The boy's eyes looked dead, and stared back at it. How it got thirty feet off the ground was beyond him. None the less, he ignored the creature, letting it scurry off of him and elsewhere as he packed up his hammock between two large and sturdy branches. If the merchants he encountered the day before was right, he was a good three-quarters day's walk to the next village. A relatively small one. Still, he was heading south. If the insignia he found was accurate, he'll be heading to the Sunlight Covenant. Hopefully to find his father and get some answers.

Climbing down from the tree, he startled some small deer, though they didn't run away from him. He didn't make a move to hunt them...they didn't seem too appetizing, and one would last him a long time anyways, despite how small they were compared to others he'd seen. Only his short bow was visible, along with his pack. But he also had a short sword, twenty pounds of crystals shaped and cut to various sizes, thirty arrows in a holster on his back, and some odds and ends. He wore a brown cloak over his shoulders, hiding everything underneath, brown trousers with a good pair of boots. He wasn't wearing a shirt, which wasn't uncommon for him. Though he was still pale, no matter how much time he spent in the sun. Nichol also had a dangling crystal earring on his left ear, a pair of goggles at the top of his head, and a black band around his neck. Other unique facial features included a small scar on his right cheek, a reddish-brown diamond tattoo in the middle of his forehead, and his dead, dark blue eyes.

While he walked, he noticed the small creature from before was following him. Shrugging it off, he just kept walking. Only to have to dive out of the way when something big and hairy suddenly burst from the bush and buck like crazy. It was at that point he saw someone on top of it...trying to...ride it? It was all very confusing to him...

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources
Resources: 850

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange Lands (Orgoth)

Post by Orgoth on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 am

One... two... THREE!
The Eldari jumped from the canopy and landed on the back of the beast she had chosen to try and master on this day. The Endaron Elk, a creature that resembled a normal elk but with increased size, was startled by the sudden intrusion and began to buck wildly. Fayla Shor, had picked a male Elk to try and master, because of course she did. She never really grasped the concept of a learning curve with any appreciation, instead relying on adapting and learning in the moment. It had backfired on numerous occasions of course, but Fayla's stubbornness meant that she simply dusted herself off and tried again, having learned from the experience.

Fayla had just begun to gain a solid grip and foothold on the beast, when it suddenly bolted, leaving the Eldari hanging on desperately. Fayla clambered on top of the creature's head just in time to see a young boy walking directly into their path. Fayla shouted to the boy in alarm. "Hey! Look out!" The boy rolled out of the way as the Elk suddenly reared up, and Fayla finally lost her battle, plummeting to the ground and landing on her face in the grass. The Elk, free from its would-be conqueror, ran back the way it had come.

Fayla lay still for a moment, assessing her physical condition. In truth, in her insatiable quest for adventure, she had experienced worse falls than this. But her body would not be so easily assuaged. She groaned as she maneuvered herself into a sitting position. The boy was looking at her curiously, and despite the fact that she was clearly in worse condition than him, she projected as much courage and confidence as she could muster up to face the newcomer from her seated position.
"Hey are you okay? You could have been killed!" Despite knowing she was clearly the one who could've died, Fayla's attempt to save face was quite transparent.

Orgoth
Admin
Admin

Resources
Resources: 2000

View user profile http://asmir-doana.forumga.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jun on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 am

A tick appeared at Nichol's head. How annoying. Worse than clients that ignore his advice. He remained pretty much expressionless, however. Standing up and dusting himself off, he spoke in pretty Eldarian. "What was that? There was also a little fox, squirrel like creature following me earlier..." His voice was quiet to boot. And monotone. Still, he made no move to help her up. He was new to this strange land. And made no effort to hide that fact. Still, he was going to learn about it anyways, even if he was passing through. Besides, maybe she can point him to the right direction of this Sunlight Covenant place anyways. And if nothing else, maybe she can educate him a little bit about the Eldari lands.

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orgoth on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 am

Fayla stood up and dusted herself off she tried to hastily brush the twigs and leaves out of her hair, but to little effect. She looked at the boy as he ignored her inquiry about his well-being and instead simply asked what the creature was that she had unsuccessfully tried to ride through the forest. She studied him for a moment before responding. "Oh that? That was an Endaron Elk. They're usually a bit less angry than that one. I don't know what happened there." The boy asked about a smaller creature he had seen earlier on. Fayla analysed his appearance for a small moment. He appeared to be Human, though appearances weren't necessarily a guarantee, and she guessed in and around his early to mid teens. He wasn't wearing a shirt, which struck Fayla as odd. She thought for a moment about what he had said to her. "Probably a Jerboa. They are curious little critters, but they're harmless."

Fayla looked around for a moment before asking some questions of her own in the form of a dense barrage. "You're Human, if I'm not mistaken? What brings you so far west? Where are you heading? Where did you come from? Where are your parents, and why aren't you wearing a shirt?"

Orgoth
Admin
Admin

Resources

Back to top Go down

Post by Jun on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:40 am

That was a special type of elk? That was huge! Larger than a typical one. Then again, most things were huge compared to him, being only five feet tall. Still, nice to know those Jerboa things were harmless. Plus they were kind of cute. She seemed very forward, barraging him with questions. He nodded, answering the first. But answered the rest verbally. Again, in Eldarian. "I'm from northeast of here. A two island chain called Crystal Isle. South, Sunlight Covenant camp...at least I think that's where this insignia is..." He pulled out a piece of paper with an insignia on it. "Mother is dead. Looking for Father...he cared enough to leave a short sword and this *waves insignia* for me. It's hot where I'm from...most people don't wear shirts in Crystal Isle." Particularly in the Crystal Badlands and the Magma Fields. He didn't think she was dangerious...at least to him. Just a bit on the crazy side.

"Never been to the mainland. Would appreciate some information." Putting away his clue, Nichol started to walk in the direction of the village. Looking back to tell her to come with him. His voice maintained its monotone and quiet nature. He didn't particularly like loud noises.

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orgoth on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 am

Fayla studied the boy as he dealt with her flurry of questions. "Crystal Isle? I've heard of that. Never been though. I get seasick so I don't go on boats that much." The boy then mentioned that he was heading south, looking for the Order of the Sun. He produced an insignia from his pocket that had the familiar design of the sword in front of the sun. She looked at it, nodding. "Yeah, that's them alright. You're heading in the right direction anyway." The boy went on to explain that his mother had died and his father had disappeared, leaving the insignia and a sword behind. Fayla bowed her head a little with that revelation. "I'm sorry to hear that, kid."

The boy mentioned that he had never been off Crystal Isle, and he would welcome some information, before randomly walking away. Fayla looked at him in confusion. "Okay? Good talk, I guess." The boy then turned around and told her to come with him. Fayla looked at him in surprise. "What? We've just met and you're gonna start ordering me around? What's the deal?" She looked at him for a moment, before softening her tone. "Look, I'm not trying to be mean. If you need help, than all you have to do is ask. You just have to work on your manners a bit." Fayla produced a pair of apples (that had somehow not been smashed by her adventure on the Endaron Elk and subsequent dismount) from her bag and offered one to the boy. "What's your name, kid?"

Orgoth
Admin
Admin

Resources

Back to top Go down

Post by Jun on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Nichol shrugged. It was a long time ago really. He didn't know why she was sorry...not like she could have done anything. Then she got irritated at him, explained why, and then offered an apple. He held out his hand. Food was food, ok? "Nichol Shard. If you don't have anything better to do, a guide would be nice...saves time asking merchants and inn keepers. Also...I don't know about you, but I can talk and/or listen, and walk at the same time. I don't like wasting daylight on a longer journey like this."

He started to walk again. Unsure what else to ask. Maybe something more about the wildlife? He bit into the apple, and settled on two questions for starters. "Anything illegal to kill and eat? And anything I should probably avoid while here? Wildlife wise..." He thought he should clarify. Oh, there was on other thing. "I'm used to being a guide to others, not needing a guide. My apologies for the rudeness. And I do intend on compensating you fairly." He was as emotionless as the other times he opened his mouth.

But unlike others, he intended to follow her directions. When his own clients went against his directions, he left them out to dry.

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orgoth on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:37 am

Nichol took the apple and told her his name, before rephrasing his request. It was slightly better, but it was still very blunt. Fayla looked at him with curiosity. "You don't really deal with people much do you? That's alright I guess. My name's Fayla, by the way." She took a munch of her apple and began walking alongside Nichol. The boy asked a couple of strange questions, inquiring about the wildlife in the area. Fayla thought about it for a moment, before deciding that the best way to proceed would be to just help as much as possible.

"Well, the only protected species that I know of is kerubi. They're basically little deer-like critters. Killing them is punishable by death." Fayla heard a ruffle and looked out into the foliage from the path. She saw a two pairs of eyes looking at her from a bush beside a large tree. She signalled for Nichol to stop and pointed at the eyes. Two kerubi emerged from the undergrowth, a male and a female, followed closely by a tiny one that was clearly still getting to grips with walking. The kerubi approached and Fayla bent down to pet the female. "That's good timing. These are kerubi. They're mostly passive." She bent down to try and pet the baby, only for the male to knock her on her rear end with a headbutt. The kerubi moved away, while Fayla stood back up and dusted herself off before continuing. "Yeah, I forgot. Kerubi are only ever aggressive when you approach their young."

Nichol then explained his unfamiliarity with being guided, and apologized for his rudeness. Fayla looked at him with a look of mild incredulity. "You guide people? Where? No offense, but you don't look old enough to guide people anywhere outside your own house." She continued walking, and their pace meant they were making good time.

Orgoth
Admin
Admin

Resources

Back to top Go down

Post by Jun Yesterday at 4:50 am

Kerubi huh? It was a good thing he didn't try anything on those then. And he shrugged off the comment about dealing with other people. He was typically left up to his own devices. Then one of the deer knocked Fayla on her butt due to getting a little close to their young. Still, it was odd that they were so passive. It was quite fascinating.

Then she looked at him with some doubt. "Sea sick or not, take you to Crystal Isle, and I'll guide you through the Crystal Badlands without a scratch or running into the territory of any dangerous creatures, and see every single place of note. I explored pretty much every nook and cranny of the place, and most of the Magma Fields. You'd be surprised how many tourists want to see them. And how many think like you do and then end up getting hurt or worse because they didn't listen to me." He'd actually narrowed his eyes at her for that. If she was going to be like that, maybe he should slap her around with his crystals and just move on. It was the most emotion he'd shown all day.

But decided against that. It wouldn't do if he got into trouble like that. As tempting as it would be. "Do we have to worry about Griffins at all?"

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orgoth Today at 3:42 am

Fayla noticed Nichol finally expressing some emotion when she expressed her incredulity at his description of his experience and skills. His demeanor became defensive, and his tone suggested that she had struck a nerve. So that was it, she thought, he's used to being in control, and now that he's the one looking for help, he's getting snotty about it. Fayla sighed. What a brat. She didn't comment on that out loud though, as his background did allow for some leeway. Nichol did, to his credit, attempt to change the subject. He asked about griffins.

"Not here really. They live on the cliffs on the north coast. They don't normally stray this far south on their own." Fayla decided to try and find out more about where Nichol was from. In truth, thoug she knew about the smattering of islands off the west coast of Endaron, she had not heard specifically of Crystal Isle. "So, tell me about your homeland. You've told me so far that you were a guide, and that there is a Crystal Badlands and a Magma Fields. Is there anything... nice there at all? It doesn't sound like a particularly appealing place for visitors so far."

Orgoth
Admin
Admin

Resources

Back to top Go down

Post by Jun Today at 5:09 am

That was good. He'd heard tales of Griffins...and other larger beasts. Then she asked about his homeland. Raising up his arm, it became coated with the crystals he carried with him, before shaping into a makeshift dagger. While some had some scarring and chips in them, it was still rather beautiful. "There are tons of caves in the Crystal Badlands with precious jewels and crystals that are absolutely beautiful. Most are even unprotected by wildlife, and are so rich that it would take millennia of mining to strip out. What stops it is the fact that above ground is so hot and inhospitable that it's very dangerous, even at night. Even the underwater caves are gorgeous, if a bit more difficult to get to.  Some are even loose, and some crystals are as fine as sand. It's where I got most of these that I carry with me, and manipulate. The Magma Fields are more inhospitable, but does have some neat formations of obsidian and metal formations. Both places gives the Isles a good bit of wealth, one side precious metals and even a divinium vein, and the other jewels. And it's not like it's all just those two places. There is a single port and town, with enough hospitable land for people to live on, and even ranch some and grow crops to sustain a population. We still have to trade to get most of our meat, but vegetables and fruits are still in good supply. There are tons of miner and jewelry guilds around. It's mostly those caverns that visitors want to see, and even take some of the crystals to sell. But guides are few, and fewer still willing to really go to the best ones. I got plenty of work back home. But...I need a new home. My father cared enough to leave me a few things, so there had to be something there..."

And he was determined to find out. Hence why he was here in these strange lands. He disassembled his crystal dagger and put the crystals back in their pouches.

Lukas Jaeger. Human. WIP
Jun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Resources

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down